Friday, November 5, 2010

Vacation 2011 - what to do... what to do...

We've gone back and forth on this a a hundred times it seems. The economy's not great and I'm sure there are a ton of good reasons to stay home next year. We could put some more money in the bank or maybe pay down the mortgage on the house. Maybe a stay-cation next year? Its not like we live in New York City or anything... there's always a great time to be had in Colorado for an outdoorsy couple like we are... and we've had some pretty amazing vacations the last three summers in British Columbia and Alaska. Maybe it is time to cool our jets for a while...?
Or... we could just go find something else to do in Alaska... Ok. I'm in! I need to watch the hard sell; I don't know my own strength I guess.
Seriously, last year we had such an amazing time that I can't imagine not going back. And yes, money's tight. Money will probably always be tight but I'd pickup aluminum cans and clip coupons if I had to.
Last summer we kayaked from a camp that we setup on Point Adolphus. What a great trip. When we left Gustavus we flew east to Juneau and then northwest up the coast towards Cordova and then on to Anchorage. During that flight we flew over some massive ice fields and enormous mountain ranges. I couldn't help but wonder what it would be like to explore some of that country. After a little research I learned that this area was the Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve.
The park is the largest national park in the world. Its larger than Switzerland! Its a little over 20,625 square miles (6 times the size of Yellowstone). Four major mountain ranges converge here claiming 9 of the 16 highest peaks in North America. It is also home to the Malaspina Glacier. This glacier is larger than the state of Rhode Island.
In July of 2011 we'll be headed into that park for a week of camping, sightseeing and raw adventure! Pam and I will celebrate our 8th anniversary there. I can't wait. I expect grandeur but beyond that I'll be open to experience whatever the park throws at us.
I think we'll front the trip with a few days of fishing to boot.
Yep. Sounds like a grand time :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey and I think the official 8 YR anniversary present is chest high waders! Coincidence?

    ReplyDelete