Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Going under the laser...

T minus 24 hours and counting...
Tomorrow morning at this time I should be in the pre-op phase of my intra-lasik procedure. Almost everyone that I've talked to that has had this or a similar procedure performed say that they wish they'd had it performed sooner and that they would have it performed again in a second. I hope they're right!
I've worn glasses for well over 30 years now. They are the first thing I put on in the morning and the last thing I take off at night. They're such a normal part of my life that its hard to put my finger on a reason as to why I'm doing it now.
I know that I'm about 5 years away from needing reading glasses so I'm sort of rolling the dice that I'll have a few good years of spectacle free vision.
I'm heading into this next day cautiously optimistic a more than a little bit anxious. What exactly is going to happen? I've heard descriptions... they cut a corneal flap with one laser and then a second laser reshapes the stroma layer of the cornea. The corneal flap is replaced and heals by itself...
Ok. I get that. But what if I move... at all? What will I feel? Going into this I'm thinking its going to be like something out of some sort of science fiction movie where some type of vacuum cleaner device sucks your eyeball up so it can't move anymore and then someone goes to work with a drill or skil saw...
What's the recovery time/process going to be like?
Will I have more noticably dry eyes after this is over?
I've asked all of these questions and I've heard a myriad of answers... but in the end I won't know until its all over...
T minus 23 hours and counting...

4 comments:

  1. Are you soooo excited? It's going to be like a whole new world for you! I'm really for you...and excited to hear what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think you have a pretty good idea of what it's like. Dremel, check, vacuum eyeball sucker, check... ok, that just went further south so I deleted it, cuz I love ya bro!
    No Worries! They worked all the bugs out on us a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm a big wuss and that they should just double up on the valium and demerol before we start...

    ReplyDelete